Monday, July 20, 2009

The good life

Blasted off Thursday to Youth Conference, up far away in the mountains. I'm not quite sure where the actual location was, I practically passed out on the ride up. That morning had been packed full with back breaking yard work- all service around the neighborhood. Some of stories we heard as we picked weeds, lifted branches and pruned trees were incredible. A single mother who caught the swine flu, a father with a large family who just lost his job, and also lots of cheerful elderly couples with yappy dogs. I experienced just how great service feels. Once we reached the campground I enjoyed lots of inspirational speakers, and even more good food. It was fun to get away and spend my last bit of time with friends moving on to college.
Got home Saturday just in time for The Fray with some good company! Ah The Fray.... they sound better live if that's possible. It was a great performance paired with engaging lights and a black and white projection of the musicians. Isaac sang all of my favorite songs beautifully, and then some.
Today I finally had my piece Symphony Espagnole professionally recorded. It's sort of a pre-audition to get into the real Salute to Youth auditions. I find out August 3rd if I'm in!
The five selected finalists of Salute to Youth get to solo with the Utah Symphony. It's a fun goal to work towards, and a nice chance to get a tricky piece under my belt. We'll see how it goes, and I'll upload the recording for you if I can figure it out!

1 comment:

Josh said...

Good concert, eh? By the way, it is possible to sound better live if things like EQ and reverb are set to better variables.