Monday, December 7, 2009

Music for Christmas


 My favorite seasonal tradition is still alive in the hills of West Virginia!   Our family was lucky to run into Boyd Edwards and his family in the early stages of our move.  Upon the discovery that my siblings and I are music lovers as well, we starting jamming at the Edward's home one, two, three times a week.  As a Stanford grad and music minor, Brother Edwards has an excellent collection of music.  It's been fun to play everything thing from Bartok to arrangements by Michael McClean. 

An oboeist, cellist, bassist, pianist, and singer have all been incorporated into several different arrangements.  We've been playing in groups resembling a small orchestra, as well as lively duets, and joyful quartets. With some pertinent connections, the gigs are lining up!  We've had the opportunity to play for three church firesides and one Christmas party already.

 I'm so grateful for this shred of normalcy, and I'm so lucky to have the power of music in my life.  It's something I love to share, and my favorite way to get into the Christmas spirit.
Also, in the month of November and early December, Hunter, Anne, and I have all found excellent teachers at the University.  I'm also very grateful for this, and can't wait to see where violin will take me.

No comments: