Friday, April 1, 2011

Jane Eyre

This past Sunday I enjoyed settling down on the living room couch with Mom to catch up on the general young women broadcast (watch here).  As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I always look forward to this annual conference which inspires me to rededicate myself spiritually to the principles and values upon which I ground my life.

The talks were all wonderful, but I was particularly struck by Sister Ann M. Dibb's reference to my favorite novel: Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.  Sister Dibb spoke about being honest and true and described how Jane, a penniless young governess, exemplified what it means to live with unshakeable integrity. 

From an abusive childhood, to a stringent, miserable girl's school,  Jane finally finds refuge as a governess at Thornfield Mansion owned by the brooding Mr. Rochester.  Jane and Mr. Rochester fall in love, but Mr. Rochester holds a dark secret that prevents him from marrying her. When faced with the choice between living with the man she loves or standing by the principles in which she believes, Jane professes her convictions through this powerful soliloquy:

"Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?” Still indomitable was the reply: “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God. . . Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation, they are for such moments as this. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?  They have a worth, so I have always believed.  Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by.  There, I plant my foot."

I hope that in my hours of greatest temptation and discouragement, I, too, will fight for my principles because of their great worth, not just in the sight of man, but of God.

On a side note, I am excited to see the newest film adaptation!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I love Jane Eyre!!