Sunday, July 10, 2011

Prairie Life

We passed these stunning animals on the way to the family farm in Stavely, Alberta.  Yes, that's right, family farm! Turns out, I come from a line of cowboy-boot-and-buckle-wearing, true-blue ranchers making a hard-earned living on the sea of prairie grass.

After being tucked away in the hills of West Virginia for quite some time now, there was an amazing sense of openess and freedom that overwhelmed me as I stepped into the prairie. The sky has never appeared so wide, nor the horizon so distant. 

We visited a creek tucked away in a hidden valley well below the serenely flowing prairie grasses.  As the creek winds its way through the tree-shaded valley, it eventually widens and increases in enough depth to create a small swimming hole. 

Smooth, sandy cliffs contain the far side of the creek in this area, creating a soft contrast against the rich azure sky.  These cliffs host hundreds of bird's nests as well as flocks of avid cliff jumpers. Swallows and leaping children fill the air.
I love the stories of my Nana and Papa coming here as children.  I imagine them splashing in the crisp, tan water, oblivious to the way their live's paths would flow together.
Both of them with no idea of the way their children and grandchildren would travel for miles to reach the fabled swimming hole where their grandparents once swam after a long, hot week on the farm.
It makes me look forward to the day when I will look back and smile at the things I never could have guessed would happen. A day when my past is remembered by my children and grandchildren.  Perhaps another day on the prairie.

2 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

This post made me tear up Paige! The pictures are so beautiful and your writing made me emotional. Looks like an amazing place to call home.

Paige Helen said...

Wow, thank you! I think that's one of the best compliments a writer could get :).