Friday, November 18, 2011

Personality, Professors & November's Playlist


Forever 21 shirt + Pigtails = Halloween costume?

Yesterday I took the Myers-Briggs test for kicks. My results seemed surprisingly accurate:

E- Extroversion
N- Intuition
F- Feeling
P-Perceiving

In other words, not a single letter from the concrete, logical, and grounded side.   Oh dear.  So here it is, according to Myers-Briggs I'm:

Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. I see life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns seen. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. I'm spontaneous and flexible, often relying on the ability to improvise and my verbal fluency.

I was delighted to discover that my writing professor and I have the same letter combination.  Have I mentioned that I adore her?  She's the kind of person who bakes cookies and brings them to class, who meets with you to go over your paper a second time, who tells funny stories about her mission and shares inspiring, thought-provoking personal experiences that are somehow completely relevant to different writing concepts we are discussing.  She's the kind of person who brings up pictures of her kids and husband, sighs deeply, and says

"Oh you guys, this is what you have to look forward to.  You have no idea how much joy is waiting for you."

I love that.

I love how she teaches for us and not just to us. She doesn't teach down to us, and for that I respect her so much.  Our class is only about twenty people strong so we've become pretty close-knit this semester. We've had some incredible in-class discussions and I've made some friends I know I'll be keeping around.

In a different vein, November's been an excellent month for music.  My tastes have been more acoustic, I've just been flowing with the cozy, chill fall vibe.  I decided that I had a quintessential fall moment which I described in a recent missionary letter:

I am curled up on the living room couch, listening to some John Mayer classics and taking in the smell of delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.  When I glance up,the mountains outside the window fill up my view. They have a reddish hue from all of the changing tree colors, but no snow just quite yet. The trees closest to our apartment are bright yellow tinged in brown, but most of the leaves have fallen. The sky is bright blue with no clouds to be seen. It’s a perfect fall day in Provo.

I think Jack Johnson and John Mayer are pretty interchangeable in that first sentence.  They're the sound of deep, slow, rich happiness.

So without further ado, November's playlist (containing much less of the aforementioned artists, but some good stuff nonetheless).

November by Paige Montgomery on Grooveshark

4 comments:

Paige Andy said...

I love personality tests, how do I take that one?!

Paige Helen said...

We took it in my writing class, actually! I still have the test if you ever want to swing by :).

Josh said...

You listen to some great music!

Paige Helen said...

Thanks for appreciating Josh! Seriously, every person who visits this blog should listen to the whole list. Love. Them. All.