Sunday, December 4, 2011

Breakdown



Well, here it is, the last two weeks of the semester have arrived!  These past few months have just flown by and I barely know where the time has gone.  It feels oh so good to see the assignments on my various syllabuses get checked off one-by-one.  I'm going to push through two more weeks of partying and studying (er--sorry, other way around, study then party), and then, as my good friend Jack Johnson relates, I'll be about ready to breakdown. Too bad I can't just surf and beach-bum my cares away.  I can't tell you how much I've missed my queen-sized bed though.  It'll be nice to settle between my fifteen pillows, and my huge, heavy comforter, as the snow drifts between the West Virginia hills.  And maybe go to sleep before 2:00 am?  Nahh, probably not.


(Wish I took this--photo courtesy of templesquarehospitality.com)

This Friday some friends and I went to the Gateway, walked around Temple Square and checked out the lights, and even took a trip down memory lane as we drove through my old neighborhood.  This morning I was back in Salt Lake with a fellow Canadian to listen to Music and the Spoken Word in the Conference Center.  It was such a nice way to usher in the Christmas season!  I can hardly believe it's here. Between Relient K Christmas albums, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I'm starting to get into the spirit of things.

Here's a blurb from the spoken word portion of Music and the Spoken Word that I enjoyed:

"Observe any family or neighborhood and you will find that the most precious moments usually take place during day-to-day living: a sister helps her younger siblings with homework, a mother tenderly cares for a sick child, a father plays catch with his son, a widow invites friends to her home, a neighbor shovels the snow, a teacher explains a concept at a child's desk.  These events are not to be ignored or diminished just because they seem small or ordinary. They are meaningful in the most profound way, yet they are cloaked in the commonplace, the everyday. . . We may not hear angels sing or see a new star in the heavens, but we can sense in our souls when something significant is happening. When we do, we will find that these are not ordinary events at all."

Good luck with finals and wrapping up school, everyone!  West Virginia, I'll see you soon.

1 comment:

Julia Kelly said...

When we lived in Utah, I loved seeing the lights on temple square. I also love your quote. The end is in sight...excited to see you back here in snowy West Virginia.