Thursday, February 26, 2009

I've got mail!

One of my most favorite things in the world is getting real, substantial mail in the mail box! Every day after school when I hear the mail man pull up, I usually make it outside in time to exchange smiles and mail with him.
Lately the joy of receiving cards, magazines, newspapers, and boxes full of stuff I've left in Canada has been slightly crushed by the new influx of college advertisements. When my mother calls downstairs, "Paige! You got something in the mail!", I'm already expecting to be let down. While I don't mind the odd university notifying me, hearing from the Texas Christian University every other day, as well as daily in my email account gets wearing.
This week however has been exceptional for mail receiving. First, my crisp Time magazine came a couple days early! There is nothing I enjoy more than my weekly ritual of slapping together a PB&J sandwich, and sprinting downstairs to my room with Time in hand.
Two days later my EFY counselor finally, finally sent me the note I had written to myself way back in June. I loved reading it because it made all of the memories of that wonderful week at EFY come flooding back. It also made me a little bit anxious for summer. This particular note was also interesting to read because it was actual proof staring me in the face of how I've changed over the past year.
The next surprise was a package from the homeland. I am happy to report that my missing Taylor Swift CD and ski gloves are once again in my possession!
The last piece of mail was actually another box. The best part of getting packages is guessing what's inside while you sign the form for man at the door. Inside were... My new running shoes! Just in time to hit the parkway this weekend. Oh and an added bonus: Free socks!

4 comments:

Derek said...

I know what you mean with the collge letters and emails, they're actually pretty annoying! and again, glad to hear you got your running shoes, track officially officially starts on Monday! Woohoo!

Brad said...

i looooove mail especially when freeskier arrives :)

Jeffrey Bennett said...

I finally set the computer to send all the college email to one folder so I can delete it in one fell swoop.

But, yeah, I have to agree with you on the "getting real mail" thing. In sixth grade we were given pen pals, and I wrote to this Polish kid. I think I probably offended him by asking in big bold letters what his email address was and for just generally acting like an arrogant American. Hey, what can I say, I was in the sixth grade?

I hope you get some more real mail soon!

Paige Helen said...

Haha Jeffrey that's a good story!
I had several pen pals when I was about nine, I would always try and show off my "superior" cursive.