Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Summer Summer!

I found this picture from Summer '03.   I was a camper at Camp Valor who couldn't wait for her turn to rope the hay bale "cow" as I flew down the zip line on a wooden horse.  With all the finesse of a nine year old, I kept my cowboy hat intact.

Flashing forward, Summer '10  has been a strange mix of running around in a frantic flurry, and relaxing with a popsicle in one hand, and a book in the other.  I absolutely adored our Utah trip, and I think I photo-documented it fairly thoroughly. Highlights include but are not limited to:
-Numerous food-related outings.  Yummm.  Let me count 'em:  Cafe Rio (2), Pounders (1), Jamba Juice (4),  TGIF (1),  Noodles & Co. (1), Snow Shack (1), La Caille (1), Costa Vida (1), Einstein Bagels (1), Yogurt Stop (2),  Chick-fil-A (1), Zupas (1), Subway (2).  Plus some excellent homemade meals to boot.  I was very well fed.
 
-La Caille. It was so fun to hang out with my date and the troop and their dates. Blake and I learned some new dances, and I certainly never stepped on anyone's toes...  Later we all sipped lemonade as we listened to a speaker. The lowlight of the event was the gulping down of escargot.  Lovely.
     
- Visiting Temple Square!  I almost felt like a tourist in my own town, but it was so nice to see those sister missionaries again.  We got the whole theater to ourselves in the visitor's center, and watched as many doctrinal movies as we pleased.  The plethora of Books of Mormon in every language imaginable is quite a sight to see.
                                            
- THE Relient K sticker. Takami and I fulfilled our high school-long dream and planted it on the sign near the Fort Union exit in Midvale!
                                         
-Spending a week at the Intermountain Suzuki Strings Institute, and writing newsletter articles covering amateur and professional ensembles.  In my spare time I enjoyed lazily lounging in the Juan Diego library and perusing their magazine collection. 

                             
-A weekend at a cabin with the girls.  From stomping through marshes and splashing in creeks, to card games and s'mores, we did it all.  Not to mention a photo shoot!
                                             
- Fulfilling the annual bonfire tradition.  Cruising along in Si's convertable with the music blasting, reading letters left in my old locker,  burning homework and negative memories,  and the water game of course!
                                             
-Getting the Ute fan up on top of the Y.   Anyone who hasn't done the hike to the Y (BYU) definitely should.  The view of Utah valley is unrivaled.

July is now upon me, with a great potential for new memories.   Already I've gone on a beautiful hike with some friends, helped film a movie for youth conference, spent a day at the pool, and possibly even seen Eclipse.  Currently I'm spending my mornings doing clerical work at Morgantown Senior Legal Aid.  I've even fit in some morning runs most recently! In one week I will leave for Point Counterpoint in Vermont.  It's strange not knowing what three entire weeks will hold, but I'm looking forward to it.  Speaking of which, I should be practicing! Updates to follow.

1 comment:

literaqueen said...

I'm glad you had a great trip to Utah, but I'm happy you're back in West Virginia!

Your photography work is gorgeous!