Saturday, November 13, 2010

Save the Words!

I think this is absolutely sagacious:  http://www.savethewords.org/

sa·ga·cious   /səˈgeɪʃəs/  [suh-gey-shuhs]
1. having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd: a sagacious lawyer.


Being the bibliophile that I am, when I heard that our resplendent (though often esoteric) word friends were plummeting from the Oxford English Dictionary, I was impelled to take one word under my wing and coax it back into use.

bib·li·o·phile   /ˈbɪbliəˌfaɪl, -fɪl/  [bib-lee-uh-fahyl, -fil]
1. a person who loves or collects books, esp. as examples of fine or unusual printing, binding, or the like.

My lovely word adoptee was not chosen out of pigritude; rather, it spoke to something that ameliorates my life on a daily basis.

a·mel·io·rate   /əˈmilyəˌreɪt, əˈmiliə-/  [uh-meel-yuh-reyt, uh-mee-lee-uh-]
1. to make better, more bearable, or more satisfactory; improve; meliorate.


The word?  Psalloid: a stringed instrument such as a harp or violin.
As in, I need to spend some time with my psalloid tonight, application suppliments are due very soon.

So check it out!   Adopting a word is the best way to win some smarts points, and you're sure to find one that will enhance your daily conversations!

No comments: