Saturday, January 1, 2011

Beginning Again

Hello 2011!  I have a good feeling about this year.  In the distance I can see a vague outline of what will come to pass:  acceptance and rejection letters will fill the mailbox, I'll study my guts out for my last four AP tests, I'll graduate with MHS class of 2011, I'll visit Utah, get a summer job, and eventually head somewhere to college.   But for all of the specifics I have nailed down, it still feels like a vague outline that has yet to be colored by time.

I've been feeling word-spent since the recent onslaught of college application essays.  I begged for essays, and that's just what I got!  It's been an interesting process to say the least.  The varying essay topics really forced me to examine my life from different angles, and analyze the changes that have taken place since the end of 2009 when I moved from Utah.  2010 was the most difficult and challenging year of my life.  I changed schools and cultures and left friends and family behind in a time when I never would have chosen to do so.  However, I have been blessed with the support of friends back home, new friends here, wonderful church leaders, a multitude of opportunities and learning experiences, and of course my family.  It's been amazing how much traveling we have done together this year, and I've been grateful for the extra time I've had to spend with my parents and siblings.

Our most recent adventure took us to the National Cathedral and Arlington Cemetary in D.C.
The cathedral took my breath away.  It was absolutely stunning.  I loved the Christian perspective on our nation's history that it presented.   As I quietly stepped through the dimly lit rooms, the stained-glass windows shifted colors across the vaulted ceilings and I imagined the ethereal notes of the Vienna Boys Choir filling the massive space.

Something like this.
Arlington Cemetary pictures tomorrow.  Happy January 1st!

2 comments:

Jeffrey Bennett said...

Did you see the Space Window, the Robert E. Lee Window, the state seal mosaics, or the Iwo Jima and Lewis and Clark windows? I've never been there myself, but my grandparents have a great view of it from their front window. I've just never had the opportunity to go inside. I'm glad to see the state flags are still there. I heard they had been taken down, which would have been a shame.

Arlington National Cemetery is really cool, too. I hope you got the opportunity to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and to tour Arlington House. Did you know that the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington House line up across Memorial Bridge, so that the hero of the North faces the hero of the South over a bridge that ties the two together?

Paige Helen said...

Hey Jeffrey,
I don't know that I did see any of those! We did a mostly self-guided tour up until the last fifteen minutes.

I did see the Pentagon Cross made from the fragments of the face of the building that was bombed. I also noticed Paul Revere and George Washington in the stained glass on either side of a window portraying the crucifix-- an interesting combination. I also learned that Helen Keller and Woodrow Wilson were buried there! What a resting place.

Luckily, I can say that I did see most of the things you listed at Arlington. And what an interesting bit of history!

You should definitely check out the cathedral next time you're in the area, it's now one of my favorite parts of D.C.

Thanks for the comment!