Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sophomore


I love these girls.  Loved living with them, loved growing into my new-found independence with them.

 I cherish my memories of late-night soul-searching and feeling absurdly adult-like pushing a grocery cart through Macey's with Julie (who kindly put up with my scattered papers and shoes and well, everything).

With Lindsey, movie nights, giggle fits, fantastic music (and honestly Linds, one of my favorite memories is when we washed the dishes while listening to Saturday General Conference. And the time you took me to get a slurpee that night when I thought it could only get worse).

With Rachel,  slamming tim tams, sharing missionary stories and learning from her how to be gentler, more soft-spoken and thoughtful.

Spring semester has commenced and I have officially spent one week in my new digs with my new roommates.  There is Michelle, the vivacious returned missionary, Clarissa, the sardonic novelist (a not-so-hidden part of me wants to be a sardonic novelist one day, but first I'll need something to be sardonic about), and Katie, the sweet country girl.

I knew we were going to be great friends the moment Clarissa described the shower water as being "tepid," the moment Michelle suggested we go for a midnight run (and turned up a copy of Ender's Game that she brought to college) and the moment I walked into the kitchen to find Katie eating oatmeal with fresh blackberries.

The new ward's great--I'm only in danger of not getting my statistics homework done.  In exactly four hours I will be waking up to volunteer for a marathon with some of my ward-ees. The things I will do to get to know people.



And in the way of marathons, I did half of one last weekend, checking one of my goals off for the year.  My blonde stunner-of-a-friend Tawni and I had been training for it since January, but she tragically sprained her ankle the week before so I had to run it alone.  Whole marathon next?  We'll see.

This is the part where I would like to say something profound about my freshman year.  But it is 1:26 am and I am now getting up in three and a half hours.  I'm older, marginally wiser, and a whole lot more sleep deprived.  I am blessed with so many wonderful friendships-- thank you, thank you, for making my life so rich.

Good night!


No comments: