Friday, March 30, 2012

Retrospect



An excerpt from a post I wrote to my best friends May 8, 2010:

As my plane lifted off from the Salt Lake airport, I didn't feel angry or miserable or jealous. I had a distinct feeling that I didn't belong there right then. I feel like I've been anchored somewhere new and I know that it's a blessing that I'm starting to see it as a blessing.

It's hard to think that our day-to-day interactions will inevitably change...
I often find myself believing that I will ship off to college THIS September.  Living vicariously? Just a bit. One thing I know for sure-- living across the country hasn't weakened the friendships that matter.  Quite the opposite!  I'll always be there for you, I'll always love to talk to you, I'll always want to know that you're alright. 

I love this quote by President Monson:
 
Fill your minds with truth
Fill your hearts with love
Fill your lives with service

It's my new little mission statement.  My hope... is that I can be the kind of person I needed most in the darkest moments of last winter.



The piece pinpoints the time when I began to accept my new life in West Virginia. It's interesting to see how my perceptions shift as the years pass,how something so devastating one year morphs into something I can see in a positive light months and years later.  


It's a good reminder to me as I face challenges here at university.  The things that keep me tossing and turning in my bed late at night I'll likely look back on as insignificant, or character building months later.  If I even remember them at all. 


This too, shall pass. . .

No comments: