Monday, May 31, 2010

Harper's Ferry (Helloo Summer!)

(Please note: Anne's ballerina pose/tomboy shorts, Mom's fabulous H&M sunglasses, my HHS volleyball t-shirt is STILL in use, Robert is texting a GIRL behind Hunter, Peter chose the wrong day to wear black, Sister Edwards is about to slide off of the historical landmark.  Noted.)

Today was the first of what I hope will be many delightful summer excursions!  At 6:55 a.m.,  the fam loaded up into the trusty mini van and cruised into the hinterlands of West Virginia.  We arrived at Harper's Ferry, a quaint ghost town with a history of disastrous floods and of an attempted slave insurrection lead by John Brown.

Speaking of John Brown... any Remember the Titans fans?   I will be seriously impressed if any quote connections are made... sans Google.

Oh, it was beautiful! And so stiflingly hot.   Our ventures included: gawking in a bizarre wax museum,  perusing a lovely underground used book store, cool root beer from a bottle in an ice cream parlor, an informative museum, a tour through a stunning cathedral (I'm beginning to have an infatuation with stained glass windows), and some ruins and gorgeous vantage points!

(I spy two baby brothers)

Though the weather has been playing the part for a while now, it will still be one week until I can officially call it Summer. This school year has been a bizarre dichotomy between two realities, and quite frankly, I can't wait to leave it behind.   Early Saturday morning I'm hopping on a plane for Utah where I will spend the highly anticipated month of June. 

More to follow.

2 comments:

W said...

Hehe, oh Sunshine!
I love that movie Paige! And I love you! That's all :)

boyd said...

Denzel Washington in Remember the Titans: "We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts, and then you will run a mile. Perfection. Let’s go to work."

I love this quote for threatening (read: motivating) my kids, and confess to using Google to fine tune it.

Great blog entry, Paige.

Boyd Edwards

-Boyd Edwards