Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dictate dominate!

Today I was called down to Hillcrest's SBO room to record my thoughts about the past volleyball season.
I immediately was trying to think of a way to get around the obvious fact that we weren't very successful and make it sound like I had gained something. While we didn't gain very many wins, I found that I have recieved some experiences that really changed me.
Through the past few years I have been lucky enough to have some incredible leadership opportunities presiding over a club, chairing meetings, and competing with speeches. This year however, participating in volleyball offered me a role that I had never played (ha) before. It helped me to have a completely new take on what my idea of leadership is.
At the beginning of the season I was extremely excited when Coaches Dondero and Peterson announced that Natalie Rudd and I would be this year's Sophomore captains.
It was...A LOT..harder than I thought.
Volleyball is a hugely emotional sport. When everyone is up so is our game, and vice versa.
For example, it was the big game day at Alta. We were down and just bombed the game-probably 15 points behind. Before the next match my team gathered in a circle. We all knew what was wrong. We took a deep breath and then just screamed and jumped around like complete idiots. We were pumped up. Guess what? We came back and beat the Hawks by nearly 20 points.
After one really bad practice I knew I needed to have a talk with the coaches. I had been feeling horrible and was just out of it. Dondero and Peterson reminded me what I had forgotten- there were seven other girls who were depending on me and who's playing was affected by my own attitude. Knowing how much the game revolves around the player's intensity I felt a huge responsibility. Even if I was having the worst day in the world, or was dead sick and tired I had to pick myself up and keep going. I told myself that if I couldn't do it for me, then I could at least do it for every other girl.
The big thing that I knew deep down but had never really recognized was the fact that leadership is not a title. It's not always the position you are placed in. It's the difference you make no matter what situation you are in. Isn't it funny that when you are putting others first, that is the only time you are really leading?

"A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion not position."

--John Maxwell

Recently I was called to the Stake Youth Conference committee. We are planning and carrying out the entire Youth Conference for our stake next summer without a leading adult. I'm really starting to feel the weight of this responsibility but I hope I can take what I've learned and make it a great experience for everyone!

3 comments:

Derek said...

That's awesome Paige,it's similar in cross, sometimes you have to pick yourself up because the teams depending on you, and it's dang hard to try and pull yourself together to do it. Congrats! Plus, you guys can be proud, you killed the cross country team! :)

Andres Bosque said...

They won't kill us next time though...
Excellent view on leadership. You really gained a lot from volleyball and being a captain- that is far more important than wins and stats.
Keep up being a good leader!

W said...

paige, i love your blog, its wonderful :)