Saturday, January 7, 2012

Extreme Photography

Today I'm defining extreme photography as:

-Taking pictures while moving 55 miles per hour
-On a rumbling snowmobile
-Driven by a nineteen year-old male
-Through four feet of powder
-Across the winding slopes of the Uintahs

I think the age and sex of the driver in question should be particularly noted; it seems to me that those characteristics fall into a higher risk-taking bracket.  I drove as well, and although my confidence was shaken by a near run-in with a pine tree and a stint in some deep powder, I was cruising by the end of the day. Snowmobiling is no skiing. . . it's louder, and, well, yeah.  Louder.  More passive. Less in-tune with Mother Nature.  But there's undoubtedly something enjoyable about moving fast through the wilderness and whipping through the air.

With that being said, you can't blame me for only taking these two:

And an obligatory nature shot:

On a somewhat related note, I recently entered one of my research papers into a university writing contest.  If I luck out enough to get a cash prize, it's all going towards a camera. My current one is functional, but not much beyond that.  It still runs on AA batteries. And I'm still a far cry away from purchasing my dream model, so if the contest doesn't work out, good old saving it is. Wish me luck.

Also.  I adore Missy Higgins.  The hair. The accent. The spunk and soul. 
Song of my week.

No comments: